barnwood chic background

Sunday, March 20, 2011

From Grandma and Grandpa to NanNan and Pap

Before Little Bear was born we asked my mom and step-dad what they would like him to call them since they were going to be first time grandparents.  My mom chose NanNan after her grandmother and my step-dad chose Pap after the nickname given to his dad.  We didn't ask my in-laws since Little Bear was not their first grandchild and they had already been established as Grandma and Grandpa.

Little Bear and Pap
Little Bear and NanNan

After spending most of this weekend at my in-laws, Little Bear has taken to saying Pa instead of Grandpa (obviously a 14 month old would find Pa somewhat easier than Grandpa!) so now we are all referring to him as Pa too.  This got me thinking about parental nicknames and how they are given and what they mean.

Little Bear and Pa
Little Bear and Grandma

So far Pap works and Little Bear has renamed Grandpa as Pa.  He hasn't really attempted NanNan or Grandma yet, so we'll have to wait and see.  But I can't wait to find out what he comes up with!  I think that it shows a special relationship when a grandchild is able to "name" his grandparents and I think that they like it too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love your comments!